As part of the film festival, the IMAX® schedule will change every two weeks from August 17-October 1, 2009. Fernbank is launching a Festival Flex Pass for the festival, which includes six IMAX tickets that can be used to see each film, or that can be divvied up among groups, families, friends and various films throughout the festival. The Festival Flex Pass is available for $45 for members and $60 for non-members, and can also be used for Martinis & IMAX® on Friday nights. Individual IMAX tickets are $13 for adults, $12 for students/seniors, $11 for children and $8 for members. Individual Martinis & IMAX tickets are $15.
If you want to go on a cinematic climb to the top of Mt. Everest, voyage into the depths of caves, dive into the ocean’s coral reefs, swim alongside dolphins, explore ancient Greece, take a river rafting adventure through the Grand Canyon, journey into the jungle to see gorillas, or explore another enthralling subject, you have to vote.
“This is the first time we’ve ever left the IMAX schedule completely in the hands of the public. We’re excited to see which films are people’s favorites,” said Jennifer Grant Warner, Senior Vice President and Chief Programming Officer at Fernbank Museum of Natural History. “There are a lot of compelling IMAX films that people long to see again. And because the IMAX format is so powerful, you can’t get the same experience by watching it on DVD, so this is really a great opportunity to see your favorite IMAX film again.”
Voting begins July 7 and runs through July 26. The Festival line-up will be announced July 27. Everyone who casts a vote at www.fernbankmuseum.org/VOTE will be entered to win a year’s worth of IMAX® passes (a total of 25 IMAX passes). Three runners-up will receive a Festival Flex Pass.
Voters can choose their favorite three films from the following:
- Journey to Amazing Caves: Explore caves as you learn how they are formed and research the microorganisms that live within an unmapped area of the deepest known cave on the continent.
- Coral Reef Adventure: Journey to some of the world’s largest and most beautiful reefs and learn about the importance of protecting these beautiful underwater environments.
- Dolphins: Embark on an underwater adventure with inquisitive Atlantic spotted dolphins, acrobatic dusky dolphins and familiar bottlenose dolphins.
- Greece: Secrets of the Past: Take a journey to the birthplace of democracy and go on a quest to uncover the buried secrets of one of the world’s most enlightened societies.
- The Living Sea: Witness the beauty, diversity of the ocean—from golden jellyfish and humpback whales to the strange creatures that live 3,000 feet beneath sea level.
- Everest: Experience the long, difficult journey to the top of the Earth’s tallest mountain and witness the dramatic events that unfold in the thin air in the mountain’s danger zone.
- Grand Canyon Adventure: Go on a rafting adventure down the Colorado River with a team of explorers investigating global water issues.
- Hurricane on Bayou: Dive with baby alligators, dance to Cajun rock'n blues music and experience the force Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.
- Mountain Gorilla: Spend a day with a gorilla family to observe these intelligent and curious animals.
- Yellowstone: Witness the spectacular beauty, dramatic geothermal activity and incredible wildlife unique to this region.
- Cirque du Soleil: Follow a mystical journey through the stages of man, from birth to maturity, in a visual and musical celebration of life, featuring the unique performers of Cirque du Soleil.
- The Greatest Places: Take an educational and entertaining journey to seven of the most geographically dynamic locations on Earth.
- Ring of Fire: Experience the immense natural force of the great circle of volcanoes and seismic activity that rings the Pacific Ocean.
Community News You Can Use
Follow us on Twitter: @gafrontpage